Sunday, July 12, 2009

This isn't Funny!

As part of reading a few articles to determine a topic for my research paper I cam across an article about the Chris Brown / Rihanna saga. I'm going to be blunt...this woman is dumb, does she really think a few kind work and 'counselling' with his pastor and mother are going to make a difference. If you've see the photos this wasn't an attack out of uncontrolled rage (not that that is acceptable either), he savagely beat her and left her at the side of the road. Sounds like true love....On this topic I came across this cartoon depiction of the two sides of the argument and how society can trivialize such a devastating experience:

On a personal note, I was unfortunate to once be in a verbally abusive relationship...luckily I saw the signs, but did not have a way out at the time; however the day he said "I just really want to hit you" is the day I got dressed, got my purse and ID and drove our car to the airport...just before boarding the plane home to my parents I called and left a message of where the car was. I left every material thing behind, including my car. I'm very proud of myself for doing that, and keeping a promise I made to myself as a child--that I would never let anyone hit me. At that young age I didn't realize how complex and violence and control can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment